Akira Title Sequence

Style Boards

Still Frames

Animated Assets

akiraproj_frame01.jpg

akiraproj_frame01.jpg

akiraproj_frame02.jpg

akiraproj_frame02.jpg

akiraproj_frame03.jpg

akiraproj_frame03.jpg

This backdrop was created using Adobe Illustrator...

akiraproj_frame04.jpg

akiraproj_frame04.jpg

... and was then blacked out in Photoshop.

akiraproject_wendielee.jpg

akiraproject_wendielee.jpg

For this one, I took an actual still shot from the movie and played around with a threshold effect and color selection in Photoshop

akiraproj_frame06.jpg

akiraproj_frame06.jpg

The mutated version of Tetsuo seen in the sclera was eventually taken out and placed in the second to last scene in the final video.

akiraproj_frame7v4.jpg

akiraproj_frame7v4.jpg

As seen here, I ended up combining both styles of shading/lighting that were seen in the style boards.

This is one of many animation assignments I underwent in my sophomore year. This one involved us making an opening title sequence for a movie or TV show of our choice. I decided to do mine on the 1988 animated sci-fi epic, Akira. I consider this one of my best assignments because it is the first one where I made serious use of cel animation in Photoshop and included it in most of the scenes in this video.

For the most part, I decided to go with a limited color palette involving shades of black, white, and red to make it more akin to the original manga. This is also the first time I experimented with a "brush text" style, influenced by Japanese calligraphy.

© 2012 by Andrew Arvan

  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Vimeo Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Tumblr Social Icon